The Little Ship Club celebrated 70 years in October 2021, commemorating its support of Queensland’s coastal communities during the war, to our boating camaraderie today.
From the beginning
Our Club began as a Volunteer Coastal Patrol (VCP) and a Naval Auxiliary Patrol (NAP). Members donated their time and boats to patrol and keep Queensland waters safe during the Second World War.
Going back to 25 June 1941, NAP was approved as a war unit to patrol and safeguard Australia’s waters against enemy attacks.
In December 1941, it was announced the Royal Australian Navy (RAN) had agreed for the VCP to become a voluntary RAN unit under the NAP. The NAP units began voluntary night patrols until August 1944.
In May 1942, the NAP was transferred to the Royal Australian Naval Volunteer Reserve (RANVR). By October 1942, the NAP had over 3,000 mobilised and unmobilised reserves around Australia.
Who we are today
Since the 1950s, our Club has grown to have a strong boating camaraderie, a collective love of Moreton Bay and all things boating and fishing. Our bistro and bar are popular places for friends and family to meet while admiring the natural beauty on our doorstep.
Today, our members come from all walks of life, whether or not they are boating enthusiasts. We have a passion for North Stradbroke Island and the natural beauty that surrounds it. We welcome all members and guests to our Club.